What Home Builders in Macedon Ranges Need to Know Before They Start Work

If you’re planning on building a new home in Macedon Ranges, you will need a planning permit and a building permit to comply with Macedon Ranges Planning Scheme. Read on to discover the differences between a planning permit and a building permit, and what Jackson Dwellings can do to help you.

The Difference Between a Planning Permit and a Building Permit

There is a difference between the two permits. A planning permit gives you permission to use, develop, and build on land for a specific purpose. A building permit relates to the construction or alteration of a building, its structural safety, and amenity. For new home builds, you will need both permits, and you can apply to Macedon Ranges Shire Council online or work with a building company like Jackson Dwellings that will take care of everything for you.

Planning Permit

A planning permit is a legal document that states you are allowed to build on or use land for a certain purpose.

A planning permit is required for several reasons, including if you want to clear native vegetation from land, subdivide the land, or construct or alter a building. For this reason, new home builders in Macedon Ranges will need a planning permit from the Planning Unit at Macedon Ranges Shire Council before they can start work.

The application can be completed online, and you will need to pay a fee, which is determined by the Council. The Council will consider the impact that your proposals will have on the site, neighbouring land, and the environment. If they agree that your building plans fit with local and state government guidelines, they will give you permission to go ahead.

Building Permit

A building permit is required to ensure that the work you are proposing complies with building regulations and codes. If you do require one, your building work will need to be inspected at key stages to ensure compliance.

You might need a building permit if you want to demolish a building, make additions to an existing building, or build a retaining wall, deck, balcony, garage, carport, shed, pergola, swimming pool, spa, or verandah. The Building Department at Macedon Ranges Shire Council will advise you as to whether you need a building permit, and you can visit their office in Gisborne. You will need to complete a building permit application form online, via their website.

Planning Schemes

There are 79 local government areas in Victoria, and each one is covered by a Minister-approved planning scheme. A statutory document, a planning scheme regulates how private and public land is used and developed.

Home builders in Macedon Ranges need to know about their local planning scheme, which includes some parts of the Victoria Planning Provisions, because it sets out legally binding objectives, policies, and provisions for the use, development, and protection of land in the area. The ordinance part of the scheme sets out requirements, local policies, and the types of use or development that need a permit.

Property Report

It’s also a good idea for home builders in Macedon Ranges to obtain a property report to find out if there are any restrictions on the land that limit what they can do in terms of building on it. You can view and download Property Reports online via the Victoria State Government website.

One way to ensure you have the necessary permits in place and that your new build is fully compliant with local regulations and building codes is to work with a building company like Jackson Dwellings. Our team consists of craftspeople, engineers, and surveyors, and we have a decade of experience of building luxury homes in Macedon Ranges.

We obtain the relevant documentation for you, and as part of our process, we schedule a construction program with site visits and inspections at necessary progress stages.